As a community builder, has this past year left you feeling disconnected and Zoomed out? What if there was something that could help us reconnect in a meaningful way? Graphic recording, or visual notetaking, is a powerful tool that puts people and their voices at the center of every conversation.
In this webinar, Maggie Miland uses her skills as a graphic recorder to capture stories and reveal sustainable solutions to our community’s most pressing challenges. She shares her unique approach to community development through her work with refugee youth, women seeking liberation from domestic violence, and communities addressing systemic racism.
Watch the video below to learn how graphic recording enables you to make the people you serve a leading role in the story!
What You’ll Learn
- What graphic recording is and why it’s important
- How you can use graphic recording within your own organization
- Valuable tools to get started
Watch the webinar on building equity and community in a virtual age with graphic recording:
What is Graphic Recording?
When faced with complexity, draw it out. -Maggie Miland
Graphic facilitation (or “Recording”) is the use of large scale imagery to lead groups and individuals towards a goal. The method is used in various processes such as meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences. This visual process is conducted by a graphic facilitator.” (source: Wikipedia)
Why is it Important?
Maggie cites a study that found users retain only 10-20% of written or spoken information compared to 65% retention if the information is visual. Moreover, it’s estimated that 6 out of 10 people identify as visual thinkers.
Four reasons graphic recording is a powerful tool:
- It prioritizes accessibility
- It fosters trust
- It builds collective ownership
- It promotes a deeper understanding resulting in long-lasting change
6 Ways You Can Use Graphic Recording
1. Impact reports: Create a graphic that shares the story of what you do and how you did.
2. Feedback sessions: Involve more people by sharing visuals and allowing interactive engagement in developing the graphics.
3. Workshops: Create a graphic that recaps the highlights of an event. You can even share your screen or a time-lapse recording so viewers can see the progression of the graphic being made!
4. Strategic planning sessions: Create a visual that brings up statistics, feedback, representation, etc and shows people what you’re working towards.
5. Grant applications: Use graphics in your grant applications to bring them to life.
6. Stakeholder recognition: Use graphics for stakeholder recognition by combining them with impact reports or by showcasing your appreciation for their support.
- Colour palette generator: coolors.co
- Contrast Checker: webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker
- Ipad Pro + Apple Pencil
- Procreate App (for iPad)
- Other apps: Fresco, Illustrator for iPad
- Innovation Hour by Realize Strategies: https://realizestrategies.ca/innovation-hour-graphic-recording
- Facilitator’s Guide to Participatory Decision-Making (Jossey-bass Business & Management Series) 3rd Edition
- Neuland Markers (made in Germany) or other water-soluble markers
- Collaborative whiteboards/tools: Miro.com and jamboard.google.com and mural.co
- Graphic design software for beginners: Canva.com
About the Presenter: Maggie Miland of Realize Strategies
Maggie Miland uses her skills as a graphic recorder to capture stories and reveal sustainable solutions to our community’s most pressing challenges.
- Website: realizestrategies.ca
- Twitter: @realizestrat
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/maggiemiland
Join the TechSoup Connect British Columbia Community!
TechSoup Connect British Columbia hosts online and in-person tech-for-good events that bring nonprofits together. We help you build communities, share resources, and discover new opportunities for social impact.
We welcome nonprofits, consultants, technologists, funders, and everyone else passionate about using technology for good.
Check us out: https://events.techsoup.org/techsoup-connect-british-columbia-chapter/
A HUGE thanks to our amazing community partners and sponsors. Give them love! Spend 💵with them!